We attended Samhita 08, the annual CS symposium of MIT on Saturday. Thanu, Sivaguru, Smrithi, Nitin, Nari, Jegan, Sanjay and myself went together. We tried out almost all the prelims and qualified for finals for quite a few events. The results of the finals:
- Onsite Programming – Second prize – Vijay, Sivaguru, Smrithi
- Onsite Programming – Third prize – Nitin, Narayanan, Thanu
- Java Quiz – First prize – Vijay, Thanu
- Java Quiz – Second prize – Nitin, Nari
- Java Quiz – Third prize – Sivaguru, Smrithi
- Tech Quiz – First prize – Thanu, Sanjay
- General Quiz – Third prize – Nitin and team
Quite a good haul! Either we are good or very lucky 🙂
Now about the events themselves – OSPC was good, except for one problem having wrong problem statement. All the top three teams managed to solve 2 problems out of the 6 problem set. The problem set was balanced and had easy, medium and tough problems.
Tech quiz was good, the questions were good and the rounds mixed. Only regret was not being on stage for the finals. We were sitting in the audience and saying all the answers! We believe a restriction on the no of ceg teams on the finals for the event restricted it to the top two ceg teams.
Java quiz was ok – it wasnt the sort of quiz that made a good on-stage event. They should have made it a written finals.
A very good thing at Samhita was the food – they provided free food for the participants and it was very good!
So overall, a good Samhita! Hopefully, our Abacus coming up this week will be better 🙂